Negotiation is a term we all know, we take many of our immersed decisions negotiators contexts both professionally and personally. We negotiate all the time, so it is good to forge a good practice guide to show us the way to negotiate a way honest, with a clear purpose and always looking for a win-win position can be with the other party.
Confusion of concepts
On many occasions I have seen good trading professionals believe simply because certain conditions tighten and insist on a deal with this tactic again and again trying to get what they want simply by exhaustion.
“Negotiating is not haggle like a flea market, trading is to convince, argue consistently and achieve a reasonable and favorable agreement to our strategic interests”
Another situation I see a lot is found in the forms repeated. Not to be ruder and tough on the other side we will be better considered in this issue, in fact it is likely that all we do is feed a climate of counter – voltage power reach agreements. We often think that we are so relentless, that we will respect more as negotiators. That is completely false. Apart from the possibility of not reaching an agreement we will leave a bad professional image and a negative precedent with the people we have met. It is to admire those who know how to negotiate rigorously with a smile on his face.
Keys to build a good base negotiate
Given these two clarifications are in a position to detail some important points to remember when we sit at a negotiating table.
1- Mark the negotiating context: Here is a previous part where you have to do your homework and know about points that can be key to address and starting right on the table:
- There have been previous negotiations? It will help us know what field we’re going to get
- Get into the other’s shoes. Do you draw from this negotiation?
- External environment: We have external factors that can influence? Politicians? Macro-economic?
- Internal Situation: In what situation is our company? It is in a dominant position?
2- Flexibility in styles and shapes. In this direction emphasize two points:
- What has worked in a negotiation does not have to work in another, there are many factors that influence and can overlook details that can have a major influence.
- We cannot negotiate the same with all different types of negotiators that we will find. With each you have to try different competitive advantages trying to see what we can get.
3- Commitment tactics cooperatives: Those in which we have no problems in sharing information and adopting a compromise position in which the main objective is to find a fair agreement for both parties.
4- Take your best journalistic skills:
- Achieve engage in conversation.
- Be a good interviewer is key to ask the right questions and get extra information
- Actively listen
5- Mark limits and alternatives: Very important to do so in advance so that everything goes naturally:
- Knowing what type of agreement is very favorable
- Alternatives to occur if the first arguments do not convince
- Limit you are willing to accept to know when it is wise to leave the negotiating table
6- Latest entries to consider:
- Make realistic offers
- Do not underestimate, sometimes we fail for lack of trust agreements
- Do not make concessions without anything in return
- Pausing if necessary to stop thinking about the conditions proposed
Build long term relations
We always have to keep in head that we cannot negotiate as if there were no tomorrow. The forms are important and how to get the agreements will mark if the other wants to do business with us in the future. You think only short term will inevitably lead to missed opportunities that might be interesting.